Apr 2021 - 3 min read
The marketing material that real estate salespersons distribute to your potential clients are often the first touchpoints that you have with them – even before you meet them!
The content of your flyers and how you distribute the hardcopies to potential clients can influence how they form their first impressions of you and your services.
With this in mind, the Council for Estate Agencies (CEA) would like to remind all salespersons to distribute your marketing flyers and pamphlets to potential clients in a responsible and professional manner.
Here are three key things from CEA’s Practice Guidelines on Ethical Advertising to take note of when you distribute hardcopy flyers and pamphlets:
- Distribute flyers and pamphlets so that these are only visible to the intended recipient. Do not leave these items at the gates of people’s homes or on their vehicles. Not only is this unsightly, it can also lead to a littering issue.
- Comply with existing laws and seek the necessary approvals if you are distributing flyers and pamphlets in private properties, e.g. in condominiums.
- Ensure that the third parties you engage to distribute the flyers and pamphlets are aware of and comply with these guidelines. Do provide proper instructions and brief them well.
With more consumers finding their salespersons online and in view of the evolving COVID-19 situation, we encourage you to consider profiling your services and distributing your marketing material through the following alternative ways:
- Online platforms such as property portals and social media platforms.
- Electronic means such as emails or text messages to reach potential clients directly. Our earlier blog post provides information on how you should check the Do Not Call Registry before sending marketing messages. You can also refer to our Tip of the Month on what you should do when you send ads to potential clients electronically.
- Maildrop service (i.e. mailbox flyering) if you would like to send hardcopy material to potential clients.
Keeping these tips in mind will go a long way in:
- positioning you as a savvy, responsible and considerate professional,
- creating a positive first impression of you, and
- uplifting the perception and standing of the real estate salesperson profession as a whole.
Information accurate as at 7 April 2021