What is the Purpose of the Public Register of Estate Agents and Salespersons?
Terminology: Under the new Estate Agents Act
- "Estate agents" mean estate agency businesses (sole proprietors, partnerships and companies)
- "Salesperson" means individuals who perform estate agency work
The purpose of the register is to enable the public to make an informed decision when choosing a salesperson or estate agent by enabling consumers to:
- Check whether a real estate agent is a licensed estate agent;*
- Check whether a person is a registered salesperson;*
- Know whether a real estate agent or salesperson has been disciplined by the Council within the last three years.
- Know whether any awards have been conferred on a real estate agent or salesperson by the Council
*Estate Agents are granted licences by CEA and the salespersons of the estate agents are registered. They can perform estate agency work only if they have a valid licence or registration. In the Public Register, the validity period of the licence or registration is shown against the name of the estate agent or salesperson.